Re: Question about upgrading

James Malone

Hi Brian, Did this upgrade end with the numbers 407?

James

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 7:15 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Question about upgrading

Zachary Abernathy, in regard to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, wrote:  "I was under the impression it was to be a structured rollout...??"

About which you are absolutely correct.  This update has been much more fraught with issues, though not for everyone, than had been anticipated.  I got it almost the moment it was available.  How my machine came to be one of "the chosen few" for first update I do not know.  I have lost jump lists in the start menu, but that's about it, and none of the tweaks that have been issued since have restored them.  Others have had more significant difficulties while still others have had none.

The whole purpose of the system health telemetry is to alert Microsoft to malfunctions occurring in the field that did not occur in their testbed.  When these occur in the quantity and with the frequency that they have for the Anniversary Update this can and will change the rollout schedule.  It's quite clear now that the brakes have been put on as far as continued rollout until the existing identified issues can be resolved.  This happened with one of the 2015 major updates as well, but I can't recall which one at the moment.

No one is going to fail to get the Anniversary Update unless they have their wireless internet connection identified as metered, which will prevent the download of any Windows Updates.   Microsoft will almost certainly announce when it believes everyone should already have the Anniversary Update installed when the end of the rollout period arrives.  I suspect that this will be months away just based on how the rollout has already slowed to a crawl, or perhaps stopped for the moment.

--
Brian

         ~ William James