Re: Strange Windows 7 Issue Regarding External Device Listings Under My Computer

Tom Behler

Tony and all:

Well, for some reason, my external hard drive now re-appears without having to shut down and re-boot the computer.

I do notice, though, that it takes much longer for this to happen than used to be the case, but at least the drive now shows up.

Thanks to all for your thoughts and suggestions on the issue.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tony
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 4:03 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Strange Windows 7 Issue Regarding External Device Listings Under My Computer

Sometimes turning the external device power off and back on solves this problem for me.

Tony

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 10:24 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Strange Windows 7 Issue Regarding External Device Listings Under My Computer

Hello, everyone.

I have just noticed a problem on the newly-acquired Windows 7 laptop I’m working with.

When I insert a media storage device into one of the USB ports, such as an external hard drive, or a thumb drive, the computer gives me the sound indicating that the device is recognized.  However, the device is not listed as an available device under “My Computer”.

The only way I can get the new device to come up under “my computer” is to shut down and then re-boot the computer.

Is there a setting that I need to change in Windows 7 to get these external devices to be automatically recognized and listed in the usual way?

I’m using Windows 7 and Jaws 17 here.

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.