Strange Windows 7 Issue Regarding External Device Listings Under My Computer

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I have just noticed a problem on the newly-acquired Windows 7 laptop I’m working with.

When I insert a media storage device into one of the USB ports, such as an external hard drive, or a thumb drive, the computer gives me the sound indicating that the device is recognized.  However, the device is not listed as an available device under “My Computer”.

The only way I can get the new device to come up under “my computer” is to shut down and then re-boot the computer.

Is there a setting that I need to change in Windows 7 to get these external devices to be automatically recognized and listed in the usual way?

I’m using Windows 7 and Jaws 17 here.

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan