Re: What to do about XP machines

Dave Scrimenti <dscrimenti@...>

I'm hoping Windows 8 will be accessible when it's finally officially released. I don't know. Have you heard anything one way or the other? I don't think we'll have too much trouble getting Win 7, especially if there's no good access for 8.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nickus de Vos" <bigboy529@gmail.com>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2011 2:48 PM
Subject: Re: What to do about XP machines

Ok I get what you guys are saying why fix something if it aint broken
and if it works for you I guess I'm just somewhat of a tech junky I
like the latest and the gratest if it works for me of caurse. I wasn't
implying that win7 would be the last accessible windows I only ment
that win8 won't be accessible imidietly and microsoft may stop people
from buying win7 once 8 is out and if you have a problem then, or have
to upgrade from xp then you're basically screwed. It is unlikely that
microsoft will stop you from buying 7 once 8 is out but you never
know, a lot of companies stop you from buying older versions of
software once the newer versions gets released, they force people to
buy the latest versions. Microsoft didn't do this in the past, we can
still go out and buy xp, vista or even win 98 if you can find it but
you never know they might change their tune.

On 10/21/11, Dave Scrimenti <dscrimenti@comcast.net> wrote:
I agree Ted. And as someone who uses Total Recorder daily to record TV shows
etc, I'm much better off with XP than with 7. Besides, Nickus actually makes
good arguments against his own position. He admits that 8 will be out soon.
So why get 7? I could be wrong, but I assume 7 won't be the last accessible
Windows version. He also says: "one of these days new programs will start
having problems running on xp systems". That's true, but it's not
happening yet with anything I'm running. So why anticipate it? And some
programs, such as the one I mentioned, Total Recorder, run better under
XP. To me, the only reasons to upgrade are if you're running something
that doesn't work well on XP, or buying a new computer, because Unless you

build it yourself, it will come with an OS, and that will be 7.