Re: How To Stop Jaws From Saying "Vertical Tab"

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Tom, if you want to silence the character altogether, you probably want to highlight the vertical tab or return, load the dictionary, and leave the alternate pronunciation field blank. I think we had a discussion on this list about silencing the greater than sign, and I used a similar technique to silence the : in my bible dictionary.

Ted

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carolyn Arnold
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 9:24 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: How To Stop Jaws From Saying "Vertical Tab"

OK, Doc Tom, here's what I suggested, that you use JAWS dictionary, by typing in vertical tab in the place where the dictionary says add, then tab once to put in the word that you want pronounced, where you spell it however you can to make JAWS pronounce it the way you want it to, and hit Spacebar there.

On my computer, I can hit Insert-D and I'm in the Dictionary, but on older programs, and I can also do this, to use the dictionary, you hit Insert-F2. You would be in JAWS Manager, so you type d to get into the dictionary. Enter. It will ask you to hit Control-Shift-D, if you want your substitute in all programs. If you want it only in the specific program you are using for e-mail, do not hit the Control-Shift-D. When you Entered, you should be at Add. So Add means add whatever word you want JAWS to pronounce in another way. You type in the add place the correct word. Then you go to the next tab and type what you want JAWS to say. For instance in mine, I changed per se, because JAWS makes it sound like per see. So at that second tab I typed per say, and it has a more acceptable pronunciation.

Please excuse me, if I told you stuff you already know or more than you ever wanted to know about JAWS Dictionary. I use it a lot.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Wednesday, June 1, 2016 8:42 PM

Carolyn:

Where would I find the alt vertical tab that you mention in step 4?

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carolyn Arnold
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 7:35 PM

Try:

1. Insert-F2 for JAWS Manager.
2. D for dictionary.
3. Control-Shift-D for default in all programs.
4. Write vertical tab.
5. Next tab hit a Spacebar.
6. Alt-F4, save changes and exit.

I don't know if that will work since this vertical tab statement from JAWS might be from program or graphics as opposed to text, but it wouldn't hurt to see if that gave you any relief.
Bye for now,

Carolyn

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Wednesday, June 1, 2016 5:08 PM
Subject: How To Stop Jaws From Saying "Vertical Tab"

Hello, everyone.

As you may recall, I'm working to get Office 365 up and running on a fairly new Windows 7 laptop. I am using the latest build of Jaws 17.

I have noticed that in many Outlook 2016 e-mails, and especially in Microsoft Word documents, Jaws keeps saying "vertical tab", as I navigate whatever it is I'm reading.

I don't recall encountering this behavior in the previous versions of Outlook and Word that I have used.

How can I get Jaws to stop reading the vertical tabs, whatever they are?

As I'm sure yu can imagine, this vertical tab designation is very distracting.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.