From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin Hourigan
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 8:34 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Accessibility of "Amazon Music Desktop App for PC"

Hello,

I copied and pasted some of the more pertinent points of the Accessibility for Ontarians With Disabilities Act below. It is my understanding that the Canadian federal government and the government of British Columbia are currently drafting similar legislation.

There are also varying levels of this type of legislation being created around the globe.

The point being that JAWS/screen  reader  users now have, (Or will soon have depending upon the jurisdiction which the offending web site falls under), a powerful tool to promote an accessible internet.

Now, when one writes to an inaccessible web site to describe their navigation issues, they could include a gentle reminder of these legislations. Hopefully converting a response of, “Whose going to all that grief for 1 complaint,”  to “Well I guess we need to fix this”.

Cheers Kevin.

: The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA)

The AODA "applies to every person or organization in the public and private sectors of the Province of Ontario, including the Legislative Assembly of Ontario" if the person or organization "provides goods, services or facilities... employs persons in Ontario... offers accommodation... owns or occupies a building, structure or premises... or is engaged in a prescribed business, activity or undertaking or meets such other requirements as may be prescribed."

An accessibility standard shall,

(a) set out measures, policies, practices or other requirements for the identification and removal of barriers with respect to goods, services, facilities, accommodation, employment, buildings, structures, premises or such other things as may be prescribed, and for the prevention of the erection of such barriers; and

(b) require the persons or organizations named or described in the standard to implement those measures, policies, practices or other requirements within the time periods specified in the standard.  2005, c. 11, s. 6 (6).

hClasses

(7) An accessibility standard may create different classes of persons or organizations or of buildings, structures or premises and, without limiting the generality of this power, may create classes with respect to any attribute, quality or characteristic or any combination of those items, including,

(a) the number of persons employed by persons or organizations or their annual revenue;

(b) the type of industry in which persons or organizations are engaged or the sector of the economy of which persons or organizations are a part;

(c) the size of buildings, structures or premises.  2005, c. 11, s. 6 (7).

Same

(8) An accessibility standard may define a class to consist of one person or organization or to include or exclude a person or organization having the same or different attributes, qualities or characteristics.  2005, c. 11, s. 6 (8).

Scope

(9) An accessibility standard may be general or specific in its application and may be limited as to time and place.  2005, c. 11, s. 6 (9).

Standards Development Process

Process for development of standards

7. The Minister is responsible for establishing and overseeing a process to develop and implement all accessibility standards necessary to achieving the purposes of this Act

Below is the current situation with respect to the federal government.

the Government of Canada

The government of Canada has published web standards for accessibility, usability, interoperability, and mobile devices. These guidelines apply to the government, and do not apply explicitly to the private sector