Re: questions about windows10

David Moore

Hi,
Win10 is still free until the end of July. Cortana is a personal assistant just like Siri is on the iPhone but much better!

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2016 8:32 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: questions about windows10

What is Cortana? If I download Windows 10 will this pesky Touch cursor finally have a role on my computer? BTW, is the windows 10 download still free?

Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 8:44 PM

I've never tried Cortana. I know I can hit Control-S and get it. Are there things I would need to know. Would I ask her verbally a question or type it?

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 8:05 PM

David Moore wrote: "Also, Cortana, she rocks!"

Even though I don't use her, I know a lot of people who do and I've taught some of them how to do so. I never thought I'd see the day where I'd say that Microsoft made something like Cortana that's better than Apple's equivalent, but she seems to work much better than Siri does. It's also a simple matter to tweak things to make Cortana use a browser that's not MS-Edge and a search engine that's not Bing. I've got her using the DuckDuckGo search engine under Firefox in one client's configuration and with Chrome (employing the Chrometana add-in) on another's.

Carolyn Arnold put it well when she said, "I'm not saying it is a piece of cake, it is just what it is and is going to be for the next several years to come."

Right now Windows 10 is quite new to virtually everyone, and we're all going through the transition, and confusion and occasional PITAs that entails at the same time. We're still early adopters. Those who come over the next year or two will be OK as far as having a cohort that's going through the transition at the same time, too. But if you wait really late you end up "being out there alone" since a lot of what people knew about how they tweaked thing X or Y to get it to work as they'd like it to, or as close to it as one can get, gets lost with the passing of time. I certainly can't answer WinXP or Win7 questions these days with the level of proficiency I currently have with Win8.1 and Win10 because I have little need to deal with customizing and tweaking those environments these days.

Brian
--
I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when looked at in the right way, did not become still more complicated.
~ Poul Anderson

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.