Re: Running Jaws/NVDA and Zoom Text as a high bred system for a client

Michael Mote

I would recommend JAWS and Magic together.  This way, the user gets to use what vision she has, and also learns the screen reader JAWS.  Incidently, many of the same keyboard commands work in Magic as well as JAWS.  I would also obtain a Magic keyboard, so she can utilize the shortcut keys that this keyboard provides for Magic specifically.

From: Poppa Bear [mailto:heavens4real@...]
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2016 10:52 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Running Jaws/NVDA and Zoom Text as a high bred system for a client

So, I have a client who is a low vision with a visual acuity of 20 over 800, I assessed her on Zoom text today and she was at 50 times magnification. In my opinion that is really the threshold for any real productivity with Zoom Text. Also she is fairly rapidly losing more vision. I and a co teacher want to push her in the direction of full on screen reader emersion, but I don’t think that the O and M instructor feels the same. I have the ultimate say, but I was considering using a screen reader along side of the Zoom text, and thinking about making a slower transition, but I don’t want to just post pone the inevitable either. I have ran both a screen reader and Zoom Text together for personal training purposes without any major problems. Any thoughts that could give me a little light on the situation would be appreciated.