Re: Question about an all in one tablet for JAWS

Poppa Bear <heavens4real@...>

In some peoples cases their rehab programs won’t go for it if the client has been trained on Jaws and already has a Jaws Dongle license. Also, using many of the PC style tablets can translate over to a desktop type of set up with a keyboard without extra training. It isn’t such a smooth transition to an I pad if you haven’t used one for more than basic socializing and entertainment IMO. I myself do like the I pads and the streamlined all in one capabilities integrated within voice over, but I was just throwing the other side of the coin out there.

Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2016 11:29 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Question about an all in one tablet for JAWS

Why not go with an iPad with data plan? Office365, OEM (HIPAA compliant emails), slack accessibility, WiFi keyboard + option to sync with braillenote. OneDrive for syncing documents across mobile devices and business computers. You can even tie a business line into the device for phone capabilities and the company can sync it to their systems using a Mobile Device Manager, such as meraki.com, ensuring security they need. Google Drive and Dropbox could be added to extend storage capabilities.

Plus I'm sure they'll find more accessible culinary books on the iPad than they will for JAWS on Windows 10.

iPads have accessible book keeping apps available and is more intuitive than the PC counterparts.

Joshua

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 3, 2016, at 2:56 AM, Poppa Bear <heavens4real@...> wrote:

Hello Brian he is connected with a 6 month paid on the job training program that ranges from learning Office Skills, some culinary arts as well as some basic excel book keeping. It is a nonprofit organization.

Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2016 10:15 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Question about an all in one tablet for JAWS

Poppa Bear,

Do you know anything about where he's working?  I ask simply because it is not unusual for businesses to forbid any connection of "outside equipment" to their networks, not even as a reasonable accommodation.  Those that take that stance will often spend thousands of dollars to create the environment required but such that it's under their control entirely.  This is not directly relevant to your overarching question but is something that does need to be considered.

ZoomText at 60 times is, without question, not practical for use in the workplace.  Given my own experience tutoring clients with ZoomText I'd be strongly encouraging them to look at screen reader solutions or else going to something like a big screen TV as their monitor of choice.  Pan and scan is difficult and disorienting at scales far below 60 times and would be a nightmare in a workplace.  Better to "scale up" the monitor such that lower magnification, or no magnification, might be needed.  I will say at the outset that I've had very little success with clients using ZoomText at high magnification levels.  It makes getting from place to place on the screen exceedingly tedious and it's very difficult to have any idea of where you are in the context of the entirety of a document, desktop, etc.

As far as the shopping goes, my concern is almost entirely about comfort with the keyboard and/or mouse/mouse pad for a given user.  When keyboard access is your primary interaction method with a computer you really have to like the way the keyboard is laid out (e.g, key spacing and rake), the nature of the touch pressure for the keys, etc.  If this guy already has computer experience of any kind these sort of preferences are already formed, but there's no way to easily express them or categorize them - it's an "I know it when I feel it" thing.  If he doesn't have experience with a given hardware format (e.g., laptop, all-in-one,etc.) that's all the more reason to encourage him to do some basic exploration of what's out there as it will allow him to eliminate a lot of options due to reasons that have nothing to do with what he can or cannot see.  I wish I could convince more people that doing a "test drive" on a computer is as essential in making a buying choice for one as it is for an automobile.  There are just too many things that can only be revealed by actual interaction with the device itself.

There's also the question:  "Is his vision stable?"  My approach with individuals whose visual profile is likely to remain unchanged is quite different than it is with individuals who are undergoing progressive loss that is unlikely to be halted.  I've got a client now who was once fully sighted, was losing his vision when we started working together and strongly preferred ZoomText because he could still see using it, but whose prognosis was for continued vision loss.  I told him early on that while I wanted him to know ZoomText I really wanted to spend some time while he could still see getting down the basics of a screen reader, because that was eventually going to be his one and only access method that would be practical.  He still uses magnification for books and the like, and very occasionally for a specific item on the computer, but he's slowly transitioned to being primarily a JAWS user precisely because ZoomText became impractical on a routine basis as his residual vision deteriorated.

Brian

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.