Re: Jaws and ear pain

Robert Logue

You probably use the default voice, (Eloquence). You can download other voices from Freedom Scientific that may be more comfortable.

There does not appear to be a overall pitch adjustment in Eloquence which sometimes helps with ear fatigue. Other voices may have pitch adjustment.

Also, lowering the volume helps me some times.

Other options would be to use different speakers, headphones, or even add a second sound device. There are some low cost USB speakers that are both powered by USB and have their own sound card.

Sometimes the sound of some speakers just doesn't suit Eloquence. If possible, lower the bass and try different treble settings. You may have equalizer settings in your sound card's control panel and or tone controls on your speakers.

Finally. Sometimes you just need a break.

HTH.

Bob

On 3/22/2016 8:23 PM, Tony Malykh wrote:
Hi all.

(This is my first message, so I beg your pardon if this group is not
the right place for such a question).

I am a new user of JAWS and I have a weird problem: my ears hurt when
I try to use JAWS for longer than 3-4 hours a day. I am wondering if
anyone has experienced anything like this and if there are any
suggestions on how to solve or alleviate the problem?

Here is my story in more details. Recently I developed some eyesight
problems. I have taught myself to use JAWS, but quickly figured out,
that after 3-4 hours of daily usage my ears start to hurt. I tried
different voices - no difference, my ears start to hurt after about
the same time no matter what the voice is. I tried male, female,
human-like and synthesized voices - all alike. I tried voiceover on
mac too, same result. The volume is set to minimum at which I can
still recognize words, so it is not loud at all. I tried laptop
speakers, external speakers, headphones - no difference. I have seen a
few ear doctors, but none of them have any idea what's going on. I
don't have any other ears problems, except for mild ear ringing, but
that is due to teeth grinding during my sleep.
I can listen to real human voices such as audiobooks or radio
programs for the whole day (12 hours) without any pain.
I am curious if anyone has experienced anything like this. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you
Tony