Jaws and ear pain

Tony Malykh

Hi all.

(This is my first message, so I beg your pardon if this group is not
the right place for such a question).

I am a new user of JAWS and I have a weird problem: my ears hurt when
I try to use JAWS for longer than 3-4 hours a day. I am wondering if
anyone has experienced anything like this and if there are any
suggestions on how to solve or alleviate the problem?

Here is my story in more details. Recently I developed some eyesight
problems. I have taught myself to use JAWS, but quickly figured out,
that after 3-4 hours of daily usage my ears start to hurt. I tried
different voices - no difference, my ears start to hurt after about
the same time no matter what the voice is. I tried male, female,
human-like and synthesized voices - all alike. I tried voiceover on
mac too, same result. The volume is set to minimum at which I can
still recognize words, so it is not loud at all. I tried laptop
speakers, external speakers, headphones - no difference. I have seen a
few ear doctors, but none of them have any idea what's going on. I
don't have any other ears problems, except for mild ear ringing, but
that is due to teeth grinding during my sleep.
I can listen to real human voices such as audiobooks or radio
programs for the whole day (12 hours) without any pain.
I am curious if anyone has experienced anything like this. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you
Tony