Re: New to the group

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Yes, there’s that happy medium.  I upgraded a lot more readily in the DOS era; cost wasn’t that high, and I could do my own installation.  I wasn’t terribly happy when the phone company blew out my last PC, but I had already used 7 here at work and liked it.  That was really my point.  If Microsoft follows its recent pattern (a good OS, followed by a bad one, than a good one again), 10 should be okay.  Furthermore,, as it’s supposed to be around for a while, most of us will probably get a shot at it.

Ted

From: Brian Vogel [mailto:britechguy@...]
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2016 10:25 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: New to the group

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 05:20 am, Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS) <ted.lisle@...> wrote:

XP was—having a loyal user base that will stick until the bitter end.

 And for people who actually did that, I want them to recall precisely how bitter that end probably was when they had to make the leap.

I know a number of people still using WinXP, but I also know that most wisely avoid doing anything online (e.g., online banking or the like) where the security compromises involved are huge.  It's gotten to the point where most providers of sensitive web functions like online banking will block you from using them if your browser does not comply with current security standards, and nothing that runs on WinXP that I know of these days does.

I have never, ever, been a bleeding edge adopter of anything.  I always give a shake out period of several months to up to a year or so.  But I also have never, ever been someone who thinks that clinging to the bitter end works out well, either, for reasons I've already stated in a prior message.

Brian