Is there added security with a logon requirement?

Peter Tesar

Hello,

Further to the discussion on having a logon prompt.

Is there any added security if a logon password is required? If you logon to a user account, will it reduce the potential damage from a virus?

I had heard of this some years ago. Microsoft gave us the User Account /control to restrict access to some critical functions. I don't know if it adds to security or just gives us a false sense of security.

As a reminder of the threats out there,  I just got an eMail with the subject:
   warning you have exceeded your eMail limit, web mail account administrator
It probably wants me to open it and click on something. I don't use the cloud for anything.

We have to be ever vigilent.
Should I return to requiring a logon prompt?

Peter T.