Re: textbook scanning for teaching purposes

Joseph Sickora

On 2/15/16, Gudrun Brunot <gbrunot@centurylink.net> wrote:
Brian, I meant to reply to this very nice post of yours. Yes, collaboration
would be great, but I haven't quite found the ideal constellation yet. My
partner, Rob, is very helpful, has a great eye for graphical aspects.
Unfortunately, he gets very upset with "the system not working right," That
is, when there is no feedback with JAWS in some situations, that Adobe hangs
when I'm opening a huge file from someone, etc. If I can give him very
specific situations, like "I'm having to fill in a forms for a translation
agency that wants me to possibly work for them, but I can't fill out the
subject areas I'm supposed to check off," stuff like that, he's fine. But if
it turns into a run-around and wild goose chase with information blackout,
system hangs, and so forth, he gets really furious, and I hate having him
get so worked up. I tell him not to let it eat his liver, and he hears me,
but it doesn't help in the final outcome. It takes what we Swedes call "ice
in the stomach" to deal with not-so-perfect accessibility.

I hear what you say, nothing equals sight when it comes to speed and
frustration avoidance when we're up against deadlines. I've had a reader,
Sandra, for a while, and I saved all those videos to describe, programs with
tricky installations, hard-to-read manuals, agency online sign-up sheets
(they want you to work for them, and "will you please click here to fill out
our application for new translators..." I had a transcription/translation
project consisting of 86 files, and she and I went through them together to
make sure all the names corresponded to what the source files were called,
how long each file was according to my time stamps and actual file lengths,
etc.... Rob would have gone nuts having to deal with that. She took a lot of
that frustration off our minds here. These are things that may look so awful
to the person who hires you. They may actually be pretty negligible as far
as practical importance, and most of your work may be perfect. Only, those
little lapses may give the impression of sloppiness and does not at all
reflect the hours and hours you've actually spent making sure that the stuff
that's crucial is absolutely perfect. She has now gotten other work, so
she's no longer available.

Anyway, thanks for those kind words.

I did uninstall Adobe DC and installed Adobe XI. I did try opening that
file. It opened all right, and Adobe starting going through the typical
recognition process. So, thinking I could do some other things while that
was happening,, I alt-tabbed away, and, ooops, system hang. I tried closing
programs, but the response was like 20 seconds off. I hit as many alt-f4 as
I could, went to have dinner and listened to the radio for an hour or two.
Now, my system is responding as normal. I'll try once more to open that
file, and leave the recognition process alone, without making any attempts
at simultaneous activities.

Gudrun