Re: textbook scanning for teaching purposes

Gudrun Brunot

Brian, I meant to reply to this very nice post of yours. Yes, collaboration would be great, but I haven't quite found the ideal constellation yet. My partner, Rob, is very helpful, has a great eye for graphical aspects. Unfortunately, he gets very upset with "the system not working right," That is, when there is no feedback with JAWS in some situations, that Adobe hangs when I'm opening a huge file from someone, etc. If I can give him very specific situations, like "I'm having to fill in a forms for a translation agency that wants me to possibly work for them, but I can't fill out the subject areas I'm supposed to check off," stuff like that, he's fine. But if it turns into a run-around and wild goose chase with information blackout, system hangs, and so forth, he gets really furious, and I hate having him get so worked up. I tell him not to let it eat his liver, and he hears me, but it doesn't help in the final outcome. It takes what we Swedes call "ice in the stomach" to deal with not-so-perfect accessibility.

I hear what you say, nothing equals sight when it comes to speed and frustration avoidance when we're up against deadlines. I've had a reader, Sandra, for a while, and I saved all those videos to describe, programs with tricky installations, hard-to-read manuals, agency online sign-up sheets (they want you to work for them, and "will you please click here to fill out our application for new translators..." I had a transcription/translation project consisting of 86 files, and she and I went through them together to make sure all the names corresponded to what the source files were called, how long each file was according to my time stamps and actual file lengths, etc.... Rob would have gone nuts having to deal with that. She took a lot of that frustration off our minds here. These are things that may look so awful to the person who hires you. They may actually be pretty negligible as far as practical importance, and most of your work may be perfect. Only, those little lapses may give the impression of sloppiness and does not at all reflect the hours and hours you've actually spent making sure that the stuff that's crucial is absolutely perfect. She has now gotten other work, so she's no longer available.

Anyway, thanks for those kind words.

I did uninstall Adobe DC and installed Adobe XI. I did try opening that file. It opened all right, and Adobe starting going through the typical recognition process. So, thinking I could do some other things while that was happening,, I alt-tabbed away, and, ooops, system hang. I tried closing programs, but the response was like 20 seconds off. I hit as many alt-f4 as I could, went to have dinner and listened to the radio for an hour or two. Now, my system is responding as normal. I'll try once more to open that file, and leave the recognition process alone, without making any attempts at simultaneous activities.

Gudrun

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, February 06, 2016 2:59 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: textbook scanning for teaching purposes

On Sat, Feb 6, 2016 at 01:39 pm, Gudrun Brunot <gbrunot@centurylink.net> wrote:

information blackout

I can't, and don't take credit for that particularly succinct and accurate turn of phrase. That goes to Joseph Lee.

Gudrun, not that no one works alone, but most of us don't. With your talents a collaboration might solve that "toe biting" provided the person you're working with is on the same metaphorical page as you are about deadlines. There are times when there is no substitute for sight when speed, and lack of frustration, are of the essence for a project. What you bring to the table goes beyond mere editing, and getting a decent editor/format-checker would, I hope, be possible. I'd love to be able to do that with someone. A friend of mine is an author, but her work goes through "standard editing" as part of the publication process. Being able to produce press-ready material is a real challenge for everyone.

Brian, been there, done that on a limited basis

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.