Re: defunct e drive

douglas richard dexheimer

my brother bought an external hard drive during a visit to chicago last spring, connected it to my USB, and when he returned home he copied my old address books, documents, programs, and other folders and files from my crashed xp hard drive (which he had taken to his house) to my win7 computer using a remote program called teamviewer. once i found the above-mentioned items on the e drive, i copied or moved most of them to my current system using explorer or the my computer app. everything clear now?

Douglas Richard Dexheimer
Chief of Braille Productions
Born-Again Productions
The Friedman Place, Apt.308
5527 N. Maplewood Ave.
Chicago, IL 60625
cell phone 913-244-0612
drichardd@earthlink.net

On 2/13/2016 10:00 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Doug,

Now I'll do technical hair splitting, but it's not trivial.
What you say, "You need to install those programs," is frequently
simply not true, and that's more the case for a number of older Windows
programs that were never "installed" in the full meaning of that term in
the first place.

Installation on any Windows system requires the involvement
of changes to the registry if one is using the term "install" in the way
Microsoft has used it. You can still see this dichotomy in NVDA itself:
there is an installed version, which involves changes to the registry
(and sometimes running components as services that can be started before
any single user logs in - e.g., screen readers that operate on the log
in screen) and a portable version which makes none. Someone else
pointed out earlier that they put the installed and portable versions of
NVDA on their machine in case an upgrade makes it impossible to start
the installed version they still have the portable one, though resident
on their hard drive rather than a USB drive, available as backup. So
long as the system boots into Windows a portable/stand alone program can
generally run whether a number of installed programs can or not.

I've been doing simple copying of Microsoft Photo Editor
for decades now because it can be run as a stand alone program with no
installation required.

Based on what Doug has described it seems more likely than
not that this was a collection of stand alone programs that did not
require installation. Of course, if any were not, then what you've said
stands for that select group. I just can't see how he could have copied
stuff off an XP machine to an external drive and trigger those programs
in the way he describes if they were not "portable"/stand alone programs
as opposed to installed ones.

Brian