locked Re: Subject Change: Improving my teaching approach and/or sensitivity

Nicole Massey <nyyki@...>

In the cases you've described, simply adding an OT: to the Subject would probably let the readers know it's gotten far afield of the list's topic range. And yes, I've seen and encountered many examples of over-moderation and also selective moderation too.

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Vogel [mailto:britechguy@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 10:20 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Subject Change: Improving my teaching approach and/or sensitivity

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 08:12 am, Nicole Massey <nyyki@gypsyheir.com> wrote:

I think that changing a subject line to reflect the current topic is both helpful and respectful to the other members of the group.

And I don't think that anyone would argue that fact provided the new subject might possibly have any interest to the broader group. If you've dropped reading the originally referenced thread I will pretty much assure you that things like discussing our experience of age, how many 'c's are in Al Pacino's name, and a plethora of trivial sidebars are entirely unlikely to be subjects worthy of their own threads.

There's a balance to be struck, and so far not renaming most of the drifted contributions seems entirely reasonable based upon their very content. They're not topics that warrant a separate thread and most likely would result in wailing about "off topic posts." This very thread has the very real danger of starting that type of wailing, but here I am!

As far as moderators go, I'm in favor of hands-off except in case of flame war. I've seen way more than one lively list, with mostly on-topic posts, die because a moderator enforced their own purity tests rather than letting the cohort posting decide what was OK and what was not.

Brian