From: Maria Campbell [mailto:lucky1inct@...]
Sent: Friday, February 05, 2016 7:42 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Improving my teaching approach and/or sensitivity

People will learn what they need when they need it. That even includes the possibility of me having to learn to do ribbons, which I am avoiding right now. It doesn't matter much how or when you learn, it just matters that you do.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
--Attributed to Jimi Hendrix

On 2/5/2016 6:32 AM, Jason White via Groups.io wrote:
Angel <angel238@...> wrote:
The insert t was the first command my instructor taught me. I only
had two days of formal instruction. I was given books, and tapes
from which to learn. That way, time was saved for all concerned.
I'm a long-term proponent of the idea that people should be taught the
foundations which enable them to read documentation, participate in
the user community and learn independently.

I've heard unfortunate anecdotes about screen reader users who arrive
at university not knowing how to use table navigation commands and
other important features. To succeed in higher education and careers
that demand considerable work with computers (in whatever field),
those skills need to be in place and to be kept current.

Screen readers such as JAWS have commands designed to improve the
efficiency of interacting with the Web and desktop applications. I
think it's necessary to know more than the basics in order to work
efficiently and productively - especially if you're using computers as
your primary tool in much of your work.