Re: Improving my teaching approach and/or sensitivity

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Amen!

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason White via Groups.io [mailto:jason@...]
Sent: Friday, February 05, 2016 7:33 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Improving my teaching approach and/or sensitivity

Angel <angel238@...> wrote:
The insert t was the first command my instructor taught me. I only
had two days of formal instruction. I was given books, and tapes from
which to learn. That way, time was saved for all concerned.

I'm a long-term proponent of the idea that people should be taught the foundations which enable them to read documentation, participate in the user community and learn independently.

I've heard unfortunate anecdotes about screen reader users who arrive at university not knowing how to use table navigation commands and other important features. To succeed in higher education and careers that demand considerable work with computers (in whatever field), those skills need to be in place and to be kept current.

Screen readers such as JAWS have commands designed to improve the efficiency of interacting with the Web and desktop applications. I think it's necessary to know more than the basics in order to work efficiently and productively - especially if you're using computers as your primary tool in much of your work.