Sent: Friday, February 05, 2016 11:08 AM
Subject: Re: Improving my teaching approach and/or sensitivity

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 10:58 am, Londa Peterson <lpeterson@...> wrote:
It doesn't automatically detect what kind of keyboard you have. That would be a nice feature though.

 Feature request, feature request!!   It seems rather unbelievable to me (but I do believe it) that this was not implemented long ago.  It's not rocket science to query hardware/device drivers to determine specific hardware present.  I don't think, for instance, that I've ever seen a Num Lock key on any keyboard that does not have a number pad as part of it.  I can only imagine what it must be like to have a fresh installation of JAWS on a non-number-pad laptop and starting out with it if no one you have access to who knows anything about JAWS can be reached and you don't know it's presuming a desktop keyboard layout (or anything about the fact that there *are* keyboard layouts as a concept).

I envision bits of plastic and keys scattered about like so many Scrabble tiles within a few short minutes after the computer is hurled across the room with all available strength!

Brian