Re: Improving my teaching approach and/or sensitivity

Charles Coe

Robin

Not true with all keyboards.

From: Robin Frost [mailto:robini71@...]
Sent: Thursday, February 4, 2016 4:58 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Improving my teaching approach and/or sensitivity

Hi,

I believe that applications key has a picture of a pencil pointing towards paper or something similar.  I offer that also to demonstrate that once I actually said to a sighted person something about the applications key and they hadn’t a clue what I was talking about.  this was troubling as I was trying to find out if a computer keyboard had the key that I wanted it to include. It wasn’t until I inquired of a sighted person what if anything that key had on it that I was better able to communicate with sighted people regarding it in the future. To me this only underscores the value of knowing about visual elements so as to sometimes better accomplish our own purposes and communicate as effectively as possible.

If I’ve described the iconic symbol of that key incorrectly I’m sure someone will correct me.

Robin

Sent: Thursday, February 4, 2016 5:09 PM

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 02:04 pm, Maria Campbell <lucky1inct@...> wrote:

the applications key or the f10 key

Maria,

           Are these two synonymous, like "JAWS Key" and INSERT (or CAPS LOCK, if Laptop), or are they two different things?

           There have been recent references in different threads to "the applications key" and I have no idea what it is, or at least that's not the terminology I'm familiar with for it if it turns out I use it all the time.

Brian