From: Robin Frost [mailto:robini71@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2016 4:45 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Improving my teaching approach and/or sensitivity

Hi,
Oh dear at the risk of getting flamed or other wise in trouble I must respectfully disagree with that which I read below as it is stated.
While I think that doing so should be part of one's over-all training in an effort to instruct the blind it might not be the sole criteria therein.
I'll keep it brief as this is straying from the perhaps defined parameters of this list. However, I'd like to posit the following:
While I'm always impressed by those sighted individuals with whom I interact over technological concerns who are willing to walk the extra mile in my shoes as it were and embrace how to do things through the use of access technology as we do in order to gain a fuller understanding I also think it's incumbent upon me and in fact necessary for me to do so in kind. For we will never fully escape the fact that we live in a very visually oriented world and the more adept we become in navigating its terrain and terminology especially the more technologically advanced it becomes the more advantageous it'll be to our own productivity, efficiency and well being.
I've known both sighted and blind instructors who were fabulous at their given vocations and I've known both who had no business doing that which they got paid to do. I've also known both who've given freely of their time and talents from whom many have benefited.
So while we're all entitled to our opinions, likes and dislikes I hope at least speaking for myself that I can both learn from, engage with and even disagree with opposing points of view without needing to surrender civility and courtesy. As with many things there's more than one way to accomplish a given thing and my way might not be that which would be most useful to anyone else and vice versa. but often there are helpful terminologies and modalities which even if not regularly embraced by choice can serve to help one cross boundaries and communicate with others more effectively.
Happy learning and computing one and all.
Robin