From: judith bron [mailto:jbron@optonline.net]
Sent: Thursday, February 4, 2016 7:20 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Improving my teaching approach and/or sensitivity

I call people who become handicapped due to accident or illness the newly handicapped. I was one of them and, like many people in that boat, my first months and years were spent in denial. Dealing with a new disability is often compared to someone going through the mourning process. If someone becomes blind for whatever reason after being sighted the adjustment isn't as easy as asking someone to help them readapt to equipment designed for the visually impaired. First they have to admit to themselves they have a problem. JB