Re: Improving my teaching approach and/or sensitivity

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Mike has good ideas. The thing is, Brian, you probably know, that there are so many variants of partial sight. I have explained this in a radio series and in public speaking engagements. There is central vision, where a person might be able to read a menu, yet be very dependent on a cane to find a chair. There is peripheral vision, enabling a person maybe better mobility, but depriving that person of the reading capability that his buddy with central vision might have. There is loss of vision that makes the world a fog. Sight is there. One knows night from day, sees the window, sees objects in the room, but details are gone. There are people with good partial sight who see maybe like, it's starting to get dark, we need to turn on the light, only that individual's vision is only that good, need to turn on the light. There is a lot more on the subject, but for your purposes, I think this can give you an idea on a day to day bases of the variety of visual loss, other than light perception and no light perception, that you will be encountering.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
From: Walker, Michael E [mailto:michael.e.walker3@boeing.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 4, 2016 2:10 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Improving my teaching approach and/or sensitivity

Hi Brian, I appreciate the political incorrectness of using, "How blind are you?" My answer would be, "Plenty blind." I am not sure that you should use this approach with all blind or visually impaired students though. Some might take offense to it. It might be better to rephrase the question to, "How much can you see? Can you see colors?" Etc. I agree with your approach on using mouse terminology that translates to keyboard commands. I am not a blind AT instructor, but as a learner, I wish my instructors would have used those terms more often. I interact with sighted people on a daily basis, and had to get used to how to translate their mouse terms to keyboard shortcuts. When interacting with my manager, I cue him in aloud how I am translating his mouse instructions to keyboard shortcuts, so he knows either how he can rephrase his instructions, or he knows how I am interpreting them. My suggestion would be to use mouse and screen reader terms at the same time, depending on the application and students. I would not totally do away with screen reader speak. Having a moderate view, and open mind, seems most appropriate, allowing for questions, as you suggested. So, use the terms interchangeably. Mike

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.