Re: Improving my teaching approach and/or sensitivity

Angel

The belief being instructed by totally blind instructors narrows our options is a prejudiced point of view.  Dictated by cultural constructs.  It was such thinking which prevented totally blind people from becoming certified mobility instructors for decades.  Even though we were teaching without certification .  and for decades prevented totally blind people from teaching sighted children.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2016 1:56 PM
Subject: Re: Improving my teaching approach and/or sensitivity

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 10:49 am, Marianne Denning <marianne@...> wrote:
I won't let a sighted person train me on the computer unless they can do everything by using the computer like I do.

Marianne,

        That is, of course, entirely our prerogative, but I'd sincerely ask you to reconsider it.  Part of what I consider my "value added" is that I can actually construct, for instance, keystroke sequences for unknown/obscure functions in MS-Office programs because I can see feedback that JAWS and NVDA do not (I don't know whether they could not, but it wouldn't be particularly practical) provide "on the fly."  Tutoring is, ideally, a collaboration where each party actually has something that they can teach the other, at least from my perspective.

        It also really narrows your options, too, but that also is your call.

Brian