Re: Improving my teaching approach and/or sensitivity

Angel

I agree with you entirely. I was most fortunate to have learned to use the computer from an exceedingly fine totally blind trainer. Along with tapes taught by blind instructors.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marianne Denning" <marianne@...>
To: <jfw@groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2016 1:49 PM
Subject: Re: Improving my teaching approach and/or sensitivity

I won't let a sighted person train me on the computer unless they can
do everything by using the computer like I do. That means, they are
listening to it rather than looking at the screen and clicking the
mouse. I have found 1 sighted trainer who is absolutely the best and
she is my trainer. I am also a trainer who keeps up with private
lessons.

I work, mostly, with students in k-12 and my goal is to make it
possible for them to use all of the programs their sighted peers use.
I have them use background colors, change the color of print, put
pictures in Powerpoint... I have been teaching Google classroom and
Drive recently too.

I do need to ask questions of sighted people at times.

On 2/4/16, Gudrun Brunot <gbrunot@...> wrote:
Turning the monitor off is an excellent idea. I had a trainer in the
Washington area who is especially good because he is sighted and use JAWS,
just so he'd understand the interface. The sighted trainer has often an
extra edge in that he knows what's supposed to work, whereas the blind
trainer can get stuck in "there's just no feedback" in a specific tricky
situation or a poorly laid-out website. Please, no offense to blind
trainers. I've had several who've saved my sanity many times and to whom I
am eternally grateful.

Gudrun