Re: working with application mode

Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D.

What’s the laptop keyboard equivalent of Numpadplus?

Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2016 2:41 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Fwd: working with application mode

I ran into Application Mode for the first time yesterday and called FS Tech Support to find out what was going on. It's apparently something involving what JAWS thinks is a touch screen and there's nary a word about it in the JAWS help. The fix is to press NumPadPlus twice to get out of the mode. I told the lady at FS that she needed to let documentation know that they need to get something into the online help that a user can find easily that explains this.

Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 8:40 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Fwd: working with application mode

I very much agree. I've never even really understood what it is, except that JAWS says I'm in Application mode, and then nothing works as expected. Here is what I've been able to determine from my limited experience. This is absolutely nothing official, but it has made managing "application mode" a little less painful.

Sometimes when I try to read the text in an edit field when I'm in application mode, nothing works right and I can't hear anything. Often shift tabbing away from the field, then tabbing back to it will cause it to act normally.

You see this often with text editors for composing text with rich formatting. Using it often means highlighting (in the usual way with shift and arrow keys or control and arrow keys), then exiting forms mode and finding the formatting button you want (bold, underline, insert hyperlink, bulleted list, numbered list, etc.)

I think it sometimes works a little better in Internet Explorer, although I've stumbled through it enough in Firefox that I can do it there and that's what I do 95% of the time.

Probably not much help, but if you have specific questions, I'll do my best to answer. I used to absolutely dread hearing the words, "Application mode on", but I've reached a point of semi-comfortable resignation now that I've figured out how to use it, even if it's with some trial and error.

Brad

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.