Re: Download Sound In Internet Explorer

Kimber Gardner

Thanks for that tip about the asterisk representing the download
sound. I've been through that list of system events at least a half
dozen times and couldn't figure it out.

Kimber

On 2/2/16, HH. Smith Jr. <teos1@islands.vi> wrote:
Hi Guys,

Here are some directions for changing your sound scheme in Windows10. I
found these directions in my library from March of

2013. I tested it on Windows10 and the instructions are still true. These
instructions will also allow to import, export, and modify current sound
scheme. Oh by the way, the download complete sound is represented by the
asterisk in the list of events. It is the second one down from the Windows
open event.

Importing and exporting whole sound schemes

becomes handy if you want to apply your schemes to different computers or
setup your system anew and don’t want to copy the whole Windows theme. Doing
so proves trickier as one might think though, since sound schemes are not
saved as some kind of file or package as one might think.

First off, to create a custom sound scheme, head to the Control Panel and
open the Hardware and Sound Options. In the Sound menu, click on Change
system sounds. Leave the applied scheme as it is and instead change its
components by selecting one of the listed items and browsing for a new sound
file, which has to be in the .wav format. For simplicity’s sake, put all
your custom sound files into the C:\Windows\Media folder prior to setting
them since they have to be in the exact same folder on the system you import
them.

After you have applied new sounds for all the items you want to change,
click the Save as… button and give your scheme a name.

Afterwards, to export the scheme open the Windows registry – do so by
opening a Run… prompt (Windows + R) and entering regedit. In the left
registry panel, browse for the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents key. Right-click
it and select Export to save its contents somewhere on your hard drive. Put
the exported registry file and all the custom sound files you used on a USB
key or another device to transfer the files.

After you have got the registry file as well as the sound files you used on
the other system, put the sound files in the exact same folder as they were
on the first system (if you followed this guide, it is C:\Windows\Media).
Then double-click the registry file to add the first system’s sound scheme
settings to the new one (schemes are only added, non will be removed if
there were custom schemes installed before). The sound scheme should now be
available in the Control Panel.

Note: if you just want to modify one or two events, it is best to go to
sounds in the control panel and change them without creating a whole new
sound scheme.