Re: How Can Sighted People Tell Where I Am At on a Screen in JAWS?

Maria Campbell

OK.  Tried f7 with hubby and he seemed to know where I was.  Hmm.
Thanks.  Hope I remember.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
--Attributed to Jimi Hendrix

On 2/1/2016 3:57 PM, Jeanette McAllister wrote:

Have you tried caret browsing?

Dr. Jeanette McAllister
757-346-0708

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 1, 2016, at 2:36 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 11:24 am, Marten Post Uiterweer <marten@...> wrote:
The brailleviewer is verry usefull. Ofcource it will not show things in
braille. It will show the text that is also shown on a brailledisplay
and a brailledisplay will show what Jaws speaks, so the brailleviewer
will also show what is spoken. Not completely, but for the most part.

 Marten,

             This can indeed be very useful in its own right, but take it from a sighted helper, it doesn't solve the original problem posed.  Most of us can tell precisely what JAWS is reading and saying, the problem is we have absolutely no idea where that is on the web page itself.  If you're on a text-rich webpage in particular, long wikipedia pages are an excellent example, JAWS can be reading multiple scrolled pages ahead of what has been left visible on the screen.  Trying to figure out where that actually is on the web page itself is often really a major production that breaks both flow and train of thought for the listener.

             I still do not have a reply from FS Technical Support of whether there actually is a practical way to make JAWS force Windows to scroll the web browser such that what's being read corresponds to what an assistant can actually see on the screen at that moment, at least somewhere on that screen.

Brian