Re: Action Keys Mode - A Warning to Those Buying Certain New Laptops

Soronel Haetir

Unfortunately this is only a temporary fix, at least for HP laptops.
HP laptops revert whenever the bios is updated and that has happened
several times with the one I have now. Thankfully I live with a seeing
eye human so when that happens getting it fixed is fairly easy.

On 1/31/16, Russell Solowoniuk <rsolowoniuk@...> wrote:
When I purchased my Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 laptop a little over a year ago from
Future Shop, I had the tech guys there go into the bios and set the function
keys to behave the way I needed for Jaws use. I had a bit of a fight to get
them to do this, but insisted they do it or I would purchase the laptop
somewhere where they would do it for me. It took the tech guy all of 3
minutes to do this. Don’t forget, when you are spending good money, that you
have a right to have your laptop set up in a way that will work for you.
It’s much easier to get them to do it before the sale is made! :).

Thanks,

Russell
On Jan 31, 2016, at 3:44 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

For all I know the following may apply to some desktops and/or
all-in-ones, too, but I've not yet encountered it in these environments.

Since the beginning of the laptop, convention had been that the function
keys across the very top of the keyboard required the Fn key that's nested
along the very bottom of the keyboard to be held before hitting a given
function key to make it perform whatever function the manufacturer defines
for that key. Most people are familiar with function keys to do things
like: volume up, volume down, mute, wireless on/off, brightness up,
brightness down, etc.

There is a new feature that HP, at least, calls "Action Keys Mode" which
turns this convention on its head. When activated, this makes a simple
press of a given function key trigger its function rather than being
passed along to whatever application as a key press. This can have some
"interesting" effects for screen reader users. This function is currently
enabled by default on my laptop and the F6 key so happens to be the Mute
on/off toggle key. When using NVDA, if I press F6 it simply toggles the
mute state. In order to make it behave as F6 normally would I must hit
Fn+F6. This does not apply if the SHIFT is pressed along with F6 in order
to reverse the direction. That works perfectly well. I can only imagine
the chaos this could unleash if you start using the various commands that
employ the function keys on a system with Action Keys Mode activated.

Action Keys Mode can be disabled, but it is controlled via UEFI/BIOS. On
my machine one disables it by activating the UEFI menu by doing a repeated
ESC key press during boot and selecting F10 choice. Once the
old-fashioned BIOS-like screen pops up, you have to transition to the
System Configuration pane and arrow to the Action Keys Mode entry and
disable it. Since this is done well before the operating system is even
involved, I don't know of a single screen reader that could be active to
accomplish the task.

Since this mode is controlled by the hardware ahead of any intervention by
anything else, you must disable it if you wish your function keys to
operate "the way they always have."

Brian

--
Soronel Haetir