Re: How Can Sighted People Tell Where I Am At on a Screen in JAWS?

Brent Harding

I think the issue on the web is that there really is no cursor physically on the screen when on the web, even though we can arrow around the web page as if it were a document. If a person were predominantly working within web-based platforms, this could get to be an issue. I thought the braille viewer showed the screen in braille, so if the sighted person can't visually read braille, we're out of luck.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2016 10:43 AM
Subject: Re: How Can Sighted People Tell Where I Am At on a Screen in JAWS?

Hey Brian!

Please do report back to us all here when you get an answer from FS about this.  Apparently, many others suffer from this besides me; which makes me feel better knowing that I am not the only one ; )

Best,

Richard

Sent: Saturday, January 30, 2016 8:00 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: How Can Sighted People Tell Where I Am At on a Screen in JAWS?

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 07:42 am, Maria Campbell <lucky1inct@...> wrote:

Sadly, I have that feature set to on, and yet hubby doesn't know where I am on web pages.

Hmmm.  My fingers are itching to write FS Tech Support, and I'll do that in a couple of minutes.  It's only because I wrote them asking about how to move through the ribbon groups via some method other than hitting TAB until you're fingers are exhausted that I learned the following, "You can move between the categories by performing the control+left or right arrow command."  Those commands are not JAWS based, but Windows based, but I haven't known of anyone who knew them.  It makes moving from group to group in the ribbon much faster when you know that a given item you're hunting for either is, or is likely to be, in a given group.

Now I'll ask them if there's a way to set JAWS such that it visually follows what it's presenting via speech.

Brian

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.