Re: Menu choices suddenly limited in IE11

Charles Coe

Hi,

I do not have office pro yet I have the following menu choices.

File, edit, VIEW,Favorites, Tools, and Help.   

Sent: Friday, January 29, 2016 2:57 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Menu choices suddenly limited in IE11

Ah, on tom’s IE11 problem, there may be a reason for the difference, but I haven’t checked with him, now that he’s solved it. I’m wondering if he has a Windows Home system. Mine is Windows Pro. A techy told me today that the solution I posted works for Pro but not very long for Home. For some reason, MS has trickier ways of infiltrating the insidious win10 notification into Windows Home systems.

Sent: Friday, January 29, 2016 5:42 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Menu choices suddenly limited in IE11

I have no such problem, but I keep wondering why so many of us have so many different issues.
For one thing I want nothing to do with Chrome at this time, so that's not a factor with me.
I'm just simply amazed at the level of such differing situations, such as the horrible time Tom Beller has had with IE 11.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
--Attributed to Jimi Hendrix

On 1/29/2016 4:32 PM, Adrian Spratt wrote:

After installing the latest release of JAWS 17, I’m getting limited menu access in IE11. For example, if I press the alt key to bring up the file menus, only “file” and “help” are available. With the JAWS cursor, I know edit, favorites, etc., are there, but I can’t access them.

I can get to favorites with alt-a. Here again, however, I encounter this weird binary situation where only two “favorites” are available to me.

I’m having a similar experience with Chrome with the right-mouse-click menu on links. (this undoubtedly explains the problem I had yesterday following Brian’s suggestion for handling PDF files in Chrome.)

I say this all occurred after I installed the current JAWS 17 release, but I’m not sure it’s the cause. I’m pretty sure I went into IE after installing the update and initially had no problems.

I also found this morning that JAWS wasn’t reading character-by-character in Word 2010. Fortunately, I fixed this problem by a combination of Office 2010 repair and a JAWS repair using the .exe file for the current release. However, these fixes made no difference to IE.

For the record, I also ran a Malwarebytes scan, and no problems were detected. Also, I’ve had no Windows updates in the past two days.

I lean toward thinking this is a JAWS problem. Has anyone experienced it and, if so, did you find a fix?

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.