Re: Identifying colors in word

Marquette, Ed <Ed.Marquette@...>

Kimberly:
Too bad the revisions were not made with track changes. Here is how to search for color. Then, I'll describe how to create a Word hotkey.

To search for a color:
1. Press control plus f
2. tab over until you hear "more" and press space bar
3. tab over until you hear format
4. Arrow down until you hear font and then press ENTER to open the dialog box
5. tab over until you find yourself in the familiar color choice box. Pick your color and tab to OKK
6. Once this is set, you can jump quickly using the repeat find command, shift plus F4
Remember to clear this out before doing other searches. If you later want to find "Mississippi," it won't find it unless it is also in the identified color. So, that's why clearing out the color is so important when you are finished.

Now, to create a Word hot key. I know this is available in Word 2007 and Word 2010, but I don't know how to get in to the right place since I've only tinkered with Word 2010 on my wife's computer. Once you get in, however, I understand the process is identical.
1. From tools, go to "Customize" -- one menu choice up from "options"
2. Press control tab until you hear "commands"
3. Tab once. You will be in a list of command categories, e.g., File, Edit, and so on. If you aren't sure exactly where the command is, arrow down to "all," I recommend this. Don't worry, the list won't be all that long and besides, you don't pick your command yet. You still have to pick keyboard (See below).
4. Here is the tricky part, this step seems a little redundant because you still have to tab over to keyboard. Do that and press ENTER.
5. Now, you have the same list of command categories. Again, if you are unsure, you can arrow down and pick ALL. I always do that.
6. Tab over for a list of commands. For example, try "next revision or comment." To get there quickly, hit "N" until you hear that command
8. tab across until you get to the place where you can enter the new key. In my case, for "Next revision or Window," I pressed alt plus shift plus r.
9. You can go back and change or create other commands. Some are defined by Microsoft already. For instance alt plus F7 is next misspelling.
10. When finished, tab across to "close"
11. You will have to tab to close a second time, and you are done.
I use automatic cross-references, and inserting a cross-reference is a pain using menus. For me alt plus shift plus X inserts the cross-reference with one keystroke.
This sounds more complicated than it is.
Good luck!