Re: Word 2013 Blank Page

Adrian Spratt

Mike, I have two concerns. One is that the information you post is invariably useful, and so I don’t wish to correct. I can only report what works for me in Word 2010. I no longer remember where I got the search commands I use. There are numerous sources for such lists. I can only say definitely that on my system, ^k does not search for page breaks; ^m does. At least some of the codes in the list you posted also work for me.

Second, I worry we’re straying away from the topic of JAWS.

Sent: Monday, January 18, 2016 9:58 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Word 2013 Blank Page

I would appreciate being corrected so I can keep my notes straight.  If that list I posted earlier is incorrect then the list given in Word 2010 Find / Replace Special Menu is wrong, since that's where I copied it from. Correcting me is 1 thing, but if the list in Word Find / Replace is wrong I wonder how the Word Find / Replace program can be corrected.

Take care.
Mike
Global warming?  Most likely caused from hot air generated by politicians!

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, January 18, 2016 6:16 PM

This is correct. I use these sort of caret searches all the time in MS Word 2010. The list you provide in the previous post is at odds with what works for me on a daily basis. Thus, to make sure no page breaks have been accidentally added, I’ll set up a Word (not a JAWS) search for ^m if. Actually, I’ll do a search and replace, with ^m in the search field and ^p for paragraph in the replace field. And so on.

Sent: Monday, January 18, 2016 7:23 PM

Adrian,

I forgot to add to my previous post that the, ^, symbol is supposed to be added in front of the designated letters.  I was told awhile back this by someone that teaches Word, but this could very well be wrong.

Take care.
Mike

Sent: Monday, January 18, 2016 4:04 PM

Adrian,

According to the Special option in Find & Replace, ^k, is for manual page breaks.  I copied all the commands listed in the Special option, they're below:

Paragraph Mark, p
Tab Character, t
Any Character, c
Any Digit, g
Any Letter, y
Caret Character, r
§ Section Character, a
¶ Paragraph Character, a
Column Break, u
Em Dash, m
En Dash, n
Endnote Mark, e
Field, d
Footnote Mark, f
Graphic, i
Manual Line Break, l
Manual Page Break, k
Nonbreaking Hyphen, h
Nonbreaking Space, s
Optional Hyphen, o
Section Break, b
White Space , w 

I know there are more shortcut keys, for lack of a better term, to be used in Find & Replace & it would be nice to have the whole list.  Well I guess a search is in short order.

Take care.
Mike

Sent: Monday, January 18, 2016 3:29 PM

Thanks, Mike. I think you’re on to something here with formatting, though I haven’t quite figured it out yet. For the record, caret-m searches for page breaks, however created. Caret-k appears to search for section breaks, at least in Word 2010.

Sent: Monday, January 18, 2016 6:02 PM

Hi Adrian,

If you create a page break with the Control + enter keystroke to go to a new page, formatting, I only use the term formatting for lack of a better term, of some nature is left on the page you created the page break on.  I don't know if this "formatting" is visible to a sighted person or not but, when using the find & replace dialog page breaks can be found using,^k.  If you started a new page halfway down a page, I don't think any formatting is left on the prior page, only blank lines.

Take care.
Mike

Sent: Monday, January 18, 2016 12:45 PM

Kimsan and Mike, the only problem with your posts, which I say with affection, is that they have nothing to do with my query. I didn’t write “control-n,” but alt-n, followed by n, followed by p.

I remain curious whether there’s a practical difference between the page break and new page commands.

Sent: Monday, January 18, 2016 3:32 PM

You’re on point bro. Those do exactly as advertised, even in 2013.

Sent: Monday, January 18, 2016 12:00 PM

Hi Adrian,

I believe, Control + Enter, creates a page break.  Control + N, opens a new document, at least that's the way it works in Word 2010.

Take care.
Mike

Sent: Monday, January 18, 2016 3:03 AM

Hi, Rayette. Can you or anyone else explain when "alt-n, n, p" would be needed in lieu of control-enter to create a new page. I can't think of a situation. Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2016 8:18 PM

Alt n, n, p

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2016 7:11 PM
Subject: Word 2013 Blank Page

Hello:

How can I insert a blank page into a Word 2013 document?  Is there a
keyboard command that I can use to insert a blank page into a Word 2013
document?  Thanks for any help.

Brian Smith

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.