From: Soronel Haetir [mailto:soronel.haetir@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2016 7:42 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Scheduling program

I used to use getright before my connection improved, I am pretty sure it can
do that, and at the time it was accessible, but that was also a decade ago,
things may have gone down hill in the meantime.

Maria,

There is no program that I know of, per se, but this can be
accomplished manually on all versions of Windows that I've worked
with, but it's done slightly differently depending on which version of
Windows you're using.

Up through Windows 8.1 you just turn off automatic updating
via Windows itself and then turn it back on just before your "cheap data
window"
comes into play and let it go to town then.

In Windows 10 you go to the Network & Internet Settings,
WiFi Pane, Advanced Options Link and set the Metered Connection switch to
On.
Windows will not download Windows updates over a metered connection.
You can go back in and set the same switch back to Off just before
your "cheap data window" then reset it to On later to prevent updates
until you want to allow them again.

Brian

--
Soronel Haetir