Re: Selecting Multiple Items in a List via JAWS

Adrian Spratt

I haven’t selected noncontiguous files in so long that I can’t remember the method exactly. I vaguely recall it involves holding down the control key, arrowing through the list and pressing spacebar to select each desired item. The only instructions I find in my notes is the following:

Windows Explorer, Select noncontiguous files

From Gismo’s v.laurie. Suppose you want to select only certain files from a folder list in Windows Explorer. Maybe you want to delete certain files or copy a few files to another folder. You may know the old trick of holding down the Ctrl key and single clicking each file to make a group selection but Windows 7 has an easier way. It isn't enabled by default, however, and you have to turn the feature on by going to Folder Options.

1. Go to the Start Search bar

2. Enter “folder options” (without quotes). Actually, just “fol” works on my systems.

3. Select “Folder Options” from the list

4. In the dialog box that opens, select the View tab

5. Scroll down the list of advanced options and place a check by “Use Check boxes to select items”.

6. Click “Apply” and “OK”

From now on, a check box will appear to the left of a file name whenever the mouse is hovered over it. Click the file to put a check in the box and select the file. The file will stay selected until you remove the check or close the Explorer window.

Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2016 3:13 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Selecting Multiple Items in a List via JAWS

Hello All,

I am admitting defeat with experimenting and looking through the documentation.  When I want to select multiple files in a list of files by "the sighted method"  I can select the first file I want via left clicking on it, then I can add additional single files by holding down CTRL and left clicking on each, which adds them to the selected list.  If there is a block of files listed sequentially, I can left click on the first one to select it, hold down the shift key, then click on the last one and the block of all files between the first and last is selected.  I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do a select like this via JAWS.

When my client wants to attach files to an e-mail message he often wants to attach two or three files from the same folder.  It is a PITA to do this one-by-one when I have to believe a technique for multi-file select exists in JAWS to allow all two, three, or more files to be attached in one action.

How does one do a multiple select in JAWS?  If there is a technique for multiple random files in a folder listing (the equivalent of the CTRL+Click) versus a block of files listed sequentially (SHIFT+Click) I'd love to know about both of them.

Brian

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.