Re: need guidance on navigating in windows 10

Londa Peterson

 The person who wrote it probably didn't write it that way. It sounds like they selected it from a website using the virtual cursor. Basically, what you have is exactly what JAWS says when it reads it rather than what it really originally looked like. Most of the time I tend to have JAWS select and copy full content rather than from virtual cursor. You can find these options in the settings center. I tend to use smart navigation for tables now instead of this older style, but everyone's different in what they prefer. Also, if you're using Firefox, you can only select from virtual cursor. This is the main reason why I still use IE. I need to prepare documents for sighted people to read, and I'm afraid I'd forget to use IE if something else was my default. a

From: Brian Vogel [mailto:britechguy@...]
Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2016 10:48 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: need guidance on navigating in windows 10

On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 06:47 am, Negoslav Sabev wrote:

Perhaps this will help.

 Now, perhaps, is an opportunity to further my own education.  I went to this website, and the content is fabulous, but it's also not set up for sighted people (nor should it be, but I'm just saying).  I downloaded several of the "collections of all these in a single ZIP file" and unzipped same.  What follows is a straight paste from the file related to the Address Bar as it opens in Notepad on my computer:

---------------------------

Address bar

table with 2 columns and 8 rows

To do this

Press this

Add www. to the beginning and .com to the end of text typed in the Address bar

Ctrl+Enter

Display a list of addresses you've typed

F4

In the Address bar, move the cursor left to the next break in the sentence

Ctrl+Left arrow

In the Address bar, move the cursor right to the next break in the sentence

Ctrl+Right arrow

Move backward through the list of AutoComplete matches

Down arrow

Move forward through the list of AutoComplete matches

Up arrow

Select the text in the Address bar

Alt+D

table end

Clearly this file is not really intended to be read as plain text, but has instructions in it noting that you have a table with two columns and eight rows, with the two columns having headings of, "To do this," and, "Press this."

What program is a file formatted in this manner typically displayed, or perhaps displayed and read, using?   I can figure it out well enough, but this Notepad presentation wouldn't be a user-friendly way to read through it for anyone.

Brian