Re: Views on Keyboard Shortcuts to teach or, perhaps, emphasize when teaching

Angel

I agree with you on that score. If I began learning to use the computer attempting to understand all those keyboard shortcuts, I should easily become discouraged. Emphasis should also be put, when instructing the student on the intuitiveness of the windows layout; and be encouraged to explore on his own its intuitiveness . Kathy Anne Murtha (forgive the poor spelling of her name) use to offer free windows courses on "Main Menu". Which were very fine. The National Braille Press also sold to me three fine texts called "Windows 95, windows 98, and windows XP explained. Perhaps your students would benefit, as I did, from reading similar updated texts. I still have the course Miss Murtha aired on "Main Menu. When Debbie Scales ran the JFW lite list, she went out of her way to find free programs which could be downloaded from the internet. which are most helpful to me. I use them to this day.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kelly Pierce" <kellytalk@...>
To: <jfw@groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2016 9:42 AM
Subject: Re: Views on Keyboard Shortcuts to teach or, perhaps, emphasize when teaching

Brian,

Yes, windows shortcuts are important, but accessibility and
productivity for a blind person relies on being familiar with the JAWS
shortcuts and those built into a particular software application.
After learning a few dozen, I know of no blind end user that can
manage hundreds of keyboard shortcuts in their head. I believe
Microsoft Word has more than 1,000 keyboard shortcuts. It would be an
unreasonable expectation for a blind person to memorize most of these.
Students should be exposed to the JAWS help system that contains
useful information about how to optimize accessibility for a specific
program and how to bring up the menus of JAWS specific keyboard
shortcuts for that program. Often, knowing how to learn is more
important than memorizing the sequences in the accessibility recipes
you provided. This is similar for a blind person in learning to only
travel a specific route from one location to another rather than
learning the general skills of how to travel to any location. In
teaching route travel, the blind person is dependent on the trainer to
constantly teach new routes as their live and personal situations
change.

I do a lot of advocacy projects and find that many people who say they
have accessibility barriers to software or information have received
formal technology access training and some have technology
backgrounds. Yet, few have reviewed the JAWS help system, listened to
the free training tutorials from Freedom Scientific, or searched
online for a solution. I know because I am able to quickly identify a
solution to their access problem that is found in these resources,
showing the person that the issue is their lack of knowledge rather
than one of asserting civil rights.

Kelly

On 1/9/16, Paul D. J. Jenkins <pdjj6123@...> wrote:
I think companies should encourage a no-mouse week in their offices! That
would be great! Of course, there would need to be some exceptions, but the
improvements in productivity over time are immeasurable!