Re: Views on Keyboard Shortcuts to teach or, perhaps, emphasize when teaching

Paul D. J. Jenkins <pdjj6123@...>

I think companies should encourage a no-mouse week in their offices! That would be great! Of course, there would need to be some exceptions, but the improvements in productivity over time are immeasurable!

-----Original Message-----
From: David Moore [mailto:jesusloves1966@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2016 1:42
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Views on Keyboard Shortcuts to teach or, perhaps, emphasize when teaching

Hi Brian,
With people using laptops and tablets, it is important to know the JAWS key
commands when JAWS is set to laptop keyboard mode. You do not have to use
the num pad at all when using JAWS, because key commands have been added to
JAWS which makes it possible to not have a num pad at all. For example, caps
lock + K will read the current word as well as num pad 5. It is good to know
the difference between windows and JAWS key commands, because you can
perform a lot of tasks, like saving a file, without speech if you know the
command. Just think, sighted people would greatly benefit by knowing all of
the Windows key commands, because it is much faster to press a key command
then it is working with the mouse. I have shown many of my sighted friends
and my wife many key commands and they use some like alt + tab. Take care
and have a great one.