Re: more about New York Times and Jaws

Adrian Spratt

Point well taken. I had a related experience earlier this week. Unable to read the content of a certain window, I was flummoxed until I remembered I’d turned off in-line frames. Regrettably, turning them back on didn’t solve the problem, which remains an unsolved mystery.

From: Gary King [mailto:w4wkz@...]
Sent: Friday, January 08, 2016 11:17 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: more about New York Times and Jaws

I want to issue a warning about turning off in-line frames.  I suggest that you only do so in the Personalize Web Settings section of the Quick Settings Tree View.  Otherwise you may be turning off this option for all web pages which is not such a good idea, as I found out the hard way.  There can sometimes be important information in those frames.

I tried checking into my local bank's web page early this week and couldn't find the log-in form.  I called the bank to see if they had a problem.  Well, it turned out that it was me that had a problem, and it was of my own making.  Their log-in form was in a frame, and when I turned off in-line frames, it disappeared.

Since my other screen readers still detected the frame containing the form, I knew that JAWS was at fault.  After thinking about changes I had made to JAWS recently, I had the clue to the mystery.

Gary King
w4wkz@...