Re: Views on Keyboard Shortcuts to teach or, perhaps, emphasize when teaching

Adrian Spratt

Actually, you can make a very big generalization about what keystrokes come from JAWS. Any combination that uses the numpad insert key (desktop) or caps lock key (laptop) is almost certainly, if not definitely, a JAWS keystroke.

I agree it's extremely helpful to distinguish between keystrokes that originate with MS from those specific to JAWS. For one thing, if you're working with a non-JAWS user, MS keystroke commands are a common language, but JAWS commands are available only to JAWS users.

I imagine some new JAWS users will find certain comments in this thread intimidating. Like many on this list, I am mostly self-taught, but the JAWS trainer who got me started on a primitive word processor made everything else that followed possible. She gave me what I needed for specific tasks, but while doing so conveyed some generalizations.

Since then, people have passed along tips that made all the difference. This example will seem basic, and it is, but it was another woman techy who grounded me in Windows as I made the reluctant transition from DOS. While setting up some application or other on my computer, she remarked in passing that copy was control-c, cut control-x and paste control-v. Windows opened up for me from there.

Many of us lament the loss of file menus in Office applications. Figuring out my way around these menus was useful and didn't require much memorizing. As long as I had ideas in my head of where to look, it was there to find. Ribbons are more complicated, but that's all they are. Having grasped the ribbon structure, I can, if need be, hunt for the function I need. Here, though, I prefer to search on Google or go to a textbook, such as those written by CathyAnne Murtha.

I also benefited from concepts about the structure of DOS that still translate to Windows. Earlier, a lister talked about the file cabinet or shelving analogy. What is more vivid to me is the tree analogy. For example, Outlook has a trunk that consists of the line of folders. Each folder branches out to a list of messages. The To, From, message, etc., fields within an individual message are twigs. Perhaps I go too far with the twigs, but thinking of the structure in this way helps me understand what I'm doing when I tab or arrow up and down. This tree analogy applies throughout Windows.

Since joining this list, I've picked up many, many tips. I keep a folder listing them alphabetically by subject. I often forget even a valuable piece of advice the next day, but if the need arises, something will be triggered in my mind and I can go to my Word document. Others will refer to the list's digest, which I know James is putting into more usable form.

Some listers have given me invaluable off-list help, such as when I switched to Windows 7 and started with Office 2010 ribbons. The trick here is to make sure you listen well, take notes, and don't keep going back with the same questions.

As students, we do best when we figure out how our minds work best. Intelligence takes many more forms than what the SATs and such tests measure. for me, what works is a combination of a modest amount of memorization, willingness to spend a limited time exploring, and acquisition of the habit to compile resources. If I remember something, that's quickest. If I have a notion where something should be, exploring takes a little more time, but I'll get there. If I'm really not sure, I turn to Google or a reference textbook.

It's incumbent on the teacher to understand how a student's mind works and to steer the instruction to his or her strengths. The opportunity to do so is the advantage of individual instruction, which is typical of screenreader training.