Re: IE11 installation saga


James Homuth
 

It sounds like what might have happened is something went whacky when IE 10 was installed. Here's the typical situation. Tech support removes IE 11, so Windows 7 automaticly rolls you back to IE 8--the first version of IE 7 ships with. Then IE 10 gets installed, probably manually, as Windows update will want to launch you straight into IE 11 (it did for me a couple days ago). So the way I'd get around it were I you is to uninstall IE 10, let Windows roll you back to IE 8, then try to install IE 11. Hopefully in doing so, whatever whackyness is happening with 10 will have been preemptively undone.
 
Relatedly, this is also why you won't see an IE 8 installer for Windows 7, or presumedly an IE 11 installer for windows 8.1 or 10. That version ships with Windows, so you can just remove it by going into that version of Windows's equivalent of "turn Windows features on or off". It essentially performs the same tasks. I agree Microsoft should make a stand-alone installer available, but that's never happened and won't ever happen--it's why you won't find IE in, say, the ninite installer package (I've never seen it there, and I've used that utility for years).


From: Adrian Spratt [mailto:Adrian@...]
Sent: January-08-16 5:32 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: IE11 installation saga

Hi. I’ve received several queries off-list about my experience attempting to upgrade from IE10 to IE11. I’m about to describe an immensely frustrating day with no end in sight, but I want to begin by emphasizing that accessibility is not an issue and that you have nothing to lose by trying.

 

So, I start with the good news. I downloaded IE11 via the link I posted earlier. Here it is again:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/Internet-Explorer-11-for-Windows-7-details.aspx

 

I note that Mario provides a link to what may be a different page that intrigues me, but I think in my case I’m way beyond taking advantage of it.

 

In any event, to resume the good story. After downloading IE11, which I did from the “run” rather than the “save” dialog, the program began installation. I’m confident that had it not encountered some as-yet undetermined problem, the installation would have completed fine, my machine would have rebooted, perhaps there would have been a long delay as Windows reconfigured, but ultimately the machine would have returned in good health and with IE11 running.

 

In short, don’t go by the rest of my experience. If IE11 doesn’t install, you lose nothing. IE10 continues to work fine, and your system shouldn’t otherwise be affected.

 

Okay, now for the saga. Kimber was kind enough to post a reminder of the Microsoft Accessibility number, so I called. During the course of two hours, the rep repeated everything I’d done on my own and came to the same point. She added a system check and, although I had some difficulty understanding her (she kept speaking away from the mouthpiece), I believe she also did a repair of IE. The next step, she said, was to run a repair of Windows, and if that failed to reinstall Windows. At that point, I said I’d call my own tech support guy, in whom I have complete faith. Naturally, he’s a busy man and he doesn’t come cheap, but I thought this problem would be routine for MS to fix.

 

Note. The MS Accessibility person failed to disconnect when we hung up, and she also left my system at the administrator level rather than the one I normally use. The only way I found to disconnect was to reboot. My first Microsoft Accessibility experience wasn’t encouraging, but I know many of you have had much better results there.

 

My tech guy repeated the same procedures, but he added at least one. In addition to downloading from what I believe was the same MS webpage I used, he tried installing via Windows Updates. Whereas I’d gone as far as 45%, as did the Microsoft person, he got to 75% before MS sent a message to the effect, “too bad.”

 

I then suggested a system restore. Now here, I have to go back to Wednesday, when the problem started. I’ve been having a problem with certain webpages at my investment broker’s website, and so we set up a tech support session for that day. They made two mistakes, looking back from this vantage point. First, they assured me that IE10 had the same level and duration of support as IE11, which was the only reason I agreed to let them roll my system back to IE10. (they were running IE10 and not experiencing the same problem I had.) As an aside, it was based on that assurance that I posted my optimistic IE10 message here later that day. As we all know now, support for IE10 actually expires next Tuesday.

 

Second, in order to fix a problem that came up (they inadvertently installed IE8 rather than IE10), my investment broker tech guys used a restore point. A restore point prior to Wednesday would have been a potential lifesaver today, but the only ones I have now go back only as far as yesterday.

 

So, big caveat: Don’t trust tech support staff who want to meddle with your system. This has been my longstanding rule, and to the extent I violate it, I try to keep on top of what they’re doing and refuse to let them go ahead if I have any doubts. I trusted these guys.

 

The net result of my experience today, leading into the weekend, is that while downloading went fine from several sources, installation kept failing and no one can figure out why. Five hours on the phone, none of my own work done, and I don’t have a solution.

 

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.