Re: Are there any NVDA (or WindowEyes) and JAWS "dual users" or people who've used both here?

David Moore

Hi Brian,
If you have forms mode on manual, JAWS will still say edit when you press E. I even tried semi automatic forms mode, but when you bring up a page, JAWS lands right into an edit field. So, to stop this is to have JAWS set to manual forms mode where you have to press enter to type into the edit box. I know what you mean. It is better just to set JAWS to manual forms mode. Have a great one.

Sent: Wednesday, January 6, 2016 2:27 PM
Subject: Re: Are there any NVDA (or WindowEyes) and JAWS "dual users" or people who've used both here?

Don’t sweat it.  Half the time I call a folder a directory.

Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2015 9:26 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Are there any NVDA (or WindowEyes) and JAWS "dual users" or people who've used both here?

Adrian,

Your comment about "false enhancement" rings true, at least in a way, even to me.  I can't tell you how many times I've had a client land in an edit field, where that's not where I want (or they want) to be and I've succumbed to saying something along the lines of, "We're looking for a button, so hit 'B' and that will take you to the first button on the screen."  Unfortunately, when you're in auto forms mode, of course it doesn't do that and interprets the 'B' as you typing the letter B. 

Am I correct in my assumption that if the auto feature is turned off, you will still get the announcement that you are indeed in an edit field (or what have you), but you must hit a single Enter, which switches you in to forms mode and that all typed characters after that will be entered into the edit field, which you then have to hit Num Pad Plus to shift out of forms mode and back to navigation mode?  Gads, but that's a long-winded question that I don't quite know how to rephrase!!

As an unrelated aside, oldster that I am I still sometimes refer to enter as  return, and I warn my clients that if they hear me say return I mean enter.  I guess for anyone who ever used an electric typewriter this definitely makes sense.   Thank heavens my really old computer geek doesn't come out where I would say CR LF, which is short for carriage return line feed!

Brian

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.