Re: Need Steps For Updating Internet Explorer

Onwardbob

HI, just how do you backup "favorites"? W-7, IE, and J-17

BOB SOUTAR…ONWARD THRU THE FOG

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 10:43 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Need Steps For Updating Internet Explorer

Thanks for these steps, Brian, and yes, I’ll be sure to back up my favorites before I do anything.

I haven’t done the favorites backup for a while, but believe I have instructions here.

I, like many others, am getting less and less dependent on internet explorer, and prefer Firefox as my main browser, but want to have IE available at least as a second alternative if nothing else.

Dr. Tom Behler

Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 9:30 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Need Steps For Updating Internet Explorer

Tom,

Given your concern about your favorites, and even though I believe these are preserved as part of a version update, you should back them up first. Presuing that Microsoft hasn't changed the menu structure (I only have IE11) you do this via the File menu, import and export option.

Next you will go to the Microsoft page for Internet Explorer Download <http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/download-ie> . The page is automatically set up to check your system for the version you have and to present you with the download button for the latest version that will run on your system. If memory serves, clicking that button will initiate the entire update process, which I'm sure includes download, dialog boxes once the upgrade starts, etc.

IE11, like most browsers these days, does not display the menu bar by default. Presuming you want that back on a permanent basis. Hit Alt to bring up the menu bar for temporary display. Under the View menu choose the Toolbars item and then check Menu Bar in the sidebar of items that comes up when you have chosen menu bar.

I hope this is enough to at least let you take a swing at this. I've done this upgrade many times but I haven't done it in a while and I loathe Internet Explorer, so I don't use it or do this on a routine enough basis to remember each and every tiny step in the actual upgrade process itself.

Brian

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.