Re: Catalyn Problem Solved

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I Presume you prepare all your own course material.  Due to security problems in my old department, I started going whole hog after I acquired my first computer back in ‘86—creating my own material, and printing the requisite number of copies of everything from tests to syllabi.  In fact, I changed up tests from term to term, so the old copies would be worthless.

Ted

Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2015 4:26 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Catalyn Problem Solved

Brian:

The documents in question were copies of some of my course syllabi and initial class handout materials.  And, trust me, no part of them was in Spanish!!  (smile)

What might have triggered the Catalan designation by Jaws is still a mystery to me, although I do wonder if it had something to do with a particular font style or something similar.

The catalan designation was spoken for various headings throughout the documents, and went away when I unchecked the language detect change option in MS Word.

I’m using Windows 7, Office 2010, and Jaws 16 here.

Dr.  Tom Behler

Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2015 1:22 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Catalyn Problem Solved

Tom, just for my curiosity, do you have any idea what JAWS was detecting that it thought was in the Catalan dialect of Spanish?   This seems really odd since my presumption is that the documents in question are not in any form of Spanish (and on that I could be entirely wrong).

Brian

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.