From: Brian Vogel [mailto:britechguy@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 11:37 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: What is the issue with Captchas?

Adrian,

I am not, repeat not, dismissing the concerns expressed here nor
the entirely legitimate frustration and anger. What I am trying to do is to
make people aware of the intent and purpose of Captchas, how they came
about, and the fact that they were a resounding success at achieving what
they had as their intention to achieve. That does not remove the fact that
they are a barrier and substitutes need to be found.

There also seems to be a lack of awareness on the part of many who
hate Captchas that replacements have to be developed, and that takes time.
Even if the very first person who complained against Captchas was heard,
loud and clear, the reason that they are used is legitimate, and the damage
that resulted before they were invented was significant enough that a
"cost-benefit" analysis comes out in favor of keeping them, even as they
pose a barrier until their replacement can be phased in. No sane company
is going to re-open itself to the kind of bot attacks that these worked so
brilliantly to thwart. There are actually considerations other than
accessibility that have equal or greater weight at times. I am more than
willing to be pilloried for saying that. Even as someone who works with and
advocates for individuals with visual impairments, this was/is one of those
times. This, too, shall pass, and is passing. But no company should be
expected to go back to throwing open the gates; that's just not realistic,
and that's the sad truth even if absolutely no workaround exists.

Brian