Re: Need Steps For Updating Internet Explorer

Adrian Spratt

Brian,

You’re missing the point that JAWS does not support Edge at this time, and we’ve received indications it may not do so for a year. My comment was solely meant to reassure listers that IE10, like IE11, remains supported, unlike the situation with IE9.

From: Brian Vogel [mailto:britechguy@...]
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 10:59 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Need Steps For Updating Internet Explorer

Adrian,

          Just FYI, and this is the long view, but Microsoft has already announced that Internet Explorer official support is going to end.  The introduction of Edge with Windows 10 is the debut of the intended replacement.  Edge is definitely a good browser but equally definitely nowhere near to maturity and it was released without a number of features, add-on support being the most obvious, that are now considered essential for any browser to become or remain competitive.

          There is absolutely no way that Freedom Scientific or any screen reader maker is going to be able to remain with IE as the default Microsoft browser over the long term.  Having this in the back of your mind may at least help to ease the shock when the inevitable announcements come about the shift to Edge or the decision to throw over primary support to Chrome, which is eating the shorts of every other web browser out there in terms of user base these days.

Brian