Re: What is the issue with Captchas?

Cindy Ray <cindyray@...>

I am a little confused by this message addressed to me and my anger. I don’t think I made such a statement, but maybe I need to go back and check. I asserted that if blind folks are going to accuse the advocacy groups of doing nothing, they should really be a part of one and work together, or then do their criticizing. As for such devices, I have no doubt they help, but Brian, you are a sighted man. You haven’t tried and tried and tried to enter one and not had it work. They have often improved though. And of course, as some have pointed out, there are sites that have no audio ones. Some of those think it is enough to just have us call their customer care so they can take care of us. I understand the reason for Captchas; I don’t understand why they have to be so garbled that no one can hear them or nonexistent. But I kind of think you are referring to someone else’s anger. I have more important things to stress me out except, of course, when I am trying to log into a website, and I’ve never had to try to get into Amazon that way.

Cindy Lou Ray who doesn’t get it.

From: Brian Vogel [mailto:britechguy@...]
Sent: Wednesday, January 6, 2016 9:22 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: What is the issue with Captchas?

Cindy Ray,

           You are entitled to your anger, which is justifiable, but not to your assertion that Captchas value at thwarting hackers is "dubious at best."  They functioned (and function) brilliantly at preventing machine-based attacks of all sorts.  They were and are a brilliant idea that had "the law of unintended consequences" attached.  They've also been modified with audio, at least genuine Captcha captchas have, due to accessibility concerns.

           Gerald's assertion is dubious, at best, as advocacy from individuals and groups is precisely what has driven the changes that have already occurred and continue to occur.  When it comes down to it the old adage, "It's not all about you," (and that's for the generic you) applies here.  Businesses and entities are only trying to protect themselves and their assets, and, by extension, their clients.  There is no malicious intent and there is far more awareness, and responsiveness, with regard to accessibility issues when those are identified.

           There is no "one size fits all" solution to any problem, and there is no utility in creating a completely permeable barrier when a partial barrier is actually needed.  Input from those negatively affected is an incredibly valuable and necessary part of working through some issues that really had not been anticipated.