Re: News Sites Refreshing

Brad Martin

That's a good question. I had never used it with IE, but after your question I installed it. The best answer I can give you is to go to Internet Explorer and visit the following address (which I guess could be different in Windows 10--I have Windows 7):

C:\Program Files\Adblock Plus for IE\html\templates\index.html

That should get you to the options page. I'll try and find a more normal way to activate this setting.

Brad

On 1/3/2016 11:26 PM, Shai wrote:
Hi,
How does one manage the options of adblock plus in Internet Explorer11
using JAWS17? It is set to block annoying ads and states that the
options are on the status bar but I can not find this menu.
I am using this with Windows10

On 1/3/16, Brad Martin <brad@...> wrote:
There's been a fair amount of discussion about pages refreshing. And
while it's true that some pages do constantly refresh (and it's really
annoying because JAWS gets hung up on reading the same things over and
over again), it's important to know whether this is actually the problem
you're experiencing. It may not be.

Yes, sometimes, especially on news websites, a refresh occurs
periodically. The page's author can set the refresh to occur every ten
seconds or thirty seconds or fifteen minutes (as is more likely the
case). At one time JAWS used to tell you "This page will refresh in 900
seconds," but I haven't heard that in so long I don't know if that's
still a thing. But sometimes when JAWS loses its place (and its mind)
it's not because the page is refreshing--at least, not the whole page.

Sometimes the problem you experience is the ads on a page changing,
jumping, flashing, moving, etc. In fact the ad frames in the page may be
refreshing while the regular content is not. This tends to manifest
itself in JAWS losing its place frequently, or perhaps JAWS reading the
same line several times as you arrow down an article, or skipping a
line, then going back to it. For the sighted among us, you can describe
the feeling this way: You're sitting at a desk reading a newspaper, when
somebody comes around the back of your desk and yanks the paper away
from you by an inch or two--not enough to pull the paper off the desk,
but enough to make you lose your place. So you adjust, you find your
spot again, and, whammo, somebody else comes along and shoves the paper
towards you. Again, you lose focus, so you start trying to find your
place while somebody else shoves the paper in a different direction.

What's happening is that the ads are different sizes, they're causing
everything to shift, or they're moving. For those of us who are blind,
we may not realize that an ad has appeared that is literally obscuring
the page for our sighted friends, but I'm told it happens frequently.
They'll be reading and what they're reading gets covered up by an ad.

I say all that to say this: I used to hate, hate, hate clicking on news
articles because of the frustration I experienced while trying to read
them, and I have a super fast computer with lots of RAM, so it's not a
problem of the computer getting bogged down. All that changed when I
installed first AdBlock, <http://www.getadblock.com>and now that AdBlock
no longer works with Firefox, I use Adblock Plus,
<http://adblockplus.org>which even has a version for IE although I've
only used the Firefox version. It has changed my experience of reading
news from all sorts of websites--TV websites, newspaper websites, online
news sites, everything. JAWS rarely loses its place because the ads
aren't jumping around the screen and bumping my page back and forth. I
stopped experiencing crashes because of the flash ads. Honestly I can't
remember the last time I encountered a page that made me feel like it
was truly refreshing or reloading. It's very rare. A nice side benefit
is I rarely have to wade through countless a frames and i frames.

Sorry that was so long, but I hope it helps some of you, both in terms
of understanding why JAWS is behaving the way it is, and in explaining
the experience to your sighted friends.

--
Brad Martin
brad@... <mailto:brad@...>