Re: News Sites Refreshing

Cristóbal

No. Like when someone’s tweet is included in the body of the story as it is part of the story itself. The imbedded tweets of an individual be it a rant or breaking story and so on.

I usually make it a habit of completely omiting all the Google Plus stuff as I don’t’ use that social network at all and more often than not the same for Facebook, but Twitter can be trickier for this reason.

Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2016 5:14 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: News Sites Refreshing

A tweet apart of the story? What do you mean by that. Do you mean where it will say ‘tweet this?”

Another way I jump to the content is to search for a word that I know will be in the article.

A site I visit often is SI, where I can read articles about certain entertainers, but I can’t seem to locate the beginning of the interview.  So, if the article states Kimsan Song, severely deaf, and parcially blind man falls off building…

I click the article, CTRL home and search for the word blind.  If that doesn’t take me to the article, I will press F3 to locate the next occurrence of the word, and if it puts me in the middle of the article, I just arrow up until I locate the start of the article.

Sent: Sunday, January 3, 2016 5:07 PM

One of the drawbacks of jaws and Flexible Web is with Twitter for example, there could be a tweet that is part of the story, but if you invoke a FW rule to hide the Twitter element, across the page, then you’re going to lose that context too.

Ideally, a straight printer friendly version keyboard command would be incredibly helpful for this as well as for full page pagination. There were some old scripts put out by jamal Mazrui  for both IE and Firefox where one of the commands was to do exactly this (control+M). FXMax and IEMax if anyone can remember them. It was a big time productivity booster and time saver.

That was back in the XP days though.

Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2016 4:50 PM

Pres the letter n, or create a flexable web rule to hide those elements.

Sent: Sunday, January 3, 2016 4:44 PM

Judith,

Often, though not always, the news stories themselves are arranged at the level of headings.  You could give INS+F6 a try and see how that works.  I've used looking for headings to "cut through the crap" on any number of websites.

If you try this, please report back on how it worked out.

Brian

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.